I feel compelled to share this for EVERYONE to know!
There was a knock on my door and two very polite young ladies asked me for the keys to their new apartment.
I was taken aback because we have no rental units available.
Trying to figure out what happened, and very thankful that I know about fraud and scams, I asked them the following questions:
- Where did you find the listing? – “On Craigslist”
- Who did you make the payment to? – “Ummm we don’t know the name”
- Call the person right now. – “Hello? What is your name please? Click….” They hang up on them.
- What did the listing say? – “Send us the deposit now and when we also receive your first rent, we will mail you the keys!”
I was really surprised that young people who are daily on the internet and Social Media have absolutely no clue.
So I asked a few more questions:
- Who would ever rent a place without seeing it first, and without meeting the landlord in person?
- Who would blindly send any payment to any so called landlord just in good faith?
- Did you use your credit card or Bank Account?
They used their Bank account which is now at risk of being attacked and emptied by fraudsters!
I advised them to go immediately to their Bank and file a claim and also to NEVER EVER rent, buy, or do anything on Craigslist or any other selling site.
Also explained and gave them names of legal Rental websites.
BE VERY VERY CAREFUL!
DO NOT TRUST ANYONE WHO ASKS FOR MONEY BEFORE THEY GIVE YOU A SIGNED LEASE.
DO NOT TRANSACT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM UNLESS YOU EITHER MEET SOMEONE IN PERSON, OR PURCHASE FROM A VERIFIED SOURCE!